Skip to main content

Lucky

Today I'm feeling so lucky - for so many reasons. I've always known that I have a great family (both by birth and by marriage) and amazing friends, and I'm not surprised by everyone's response as of late, but I am so deeply touched. The outpouring of love and support, whether by email, text, phone calls, or cards has meant more to me than anyone will ever know. I always seem to get a message or package when I am starting to feel down, or worried, or just scared. It's like everyone knows, and takes turns reaching out with support. And without fail, I'm immediately lifted back up. These gestures will never be forgotten, and I can only hope to pay this forward someday.

Another reason why I'm so lucky - genetic testing is NEGATIVE!! There was no sign of a gene mutation in my DNA. My ovaries have been granted a temporary pardon. But the boobs have still got to go! This is also good news for my sweet girls. While they will still need to start having mammograms at only 26 years old, they have been spared being passed on a gene mutation from me.

Comments

  1. So much to be grateful for. Perhaps it's not luck so much as it is the outpouring of prayers and love going your way to you and your beautiful daughters. Thank you God!
    Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally crying! I am soooo thankful for Reagan and Charlie! A HUGE reason that I'm doing the Avon walk is (for you!!) and for our girls (yours and mine!!)

    You continue to amaze me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was...

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting...

Devastation

The results are in and they are absolutely not what we were hoping for or expecting. I officially suck at reading CT Scan results. My sister in law, Jess, came with me to the appointment yesterday since Matt had to work. I wasn't expecting bad news as I figured it was time we heard something GOOD, so I told him to save his time off for when I really need him. Well, turns out I really needed him yesterday. The cancer is active in my lungs and liver as well as my bones. F*$%!!!! As hard as I tried to remain strong, I broke down crying in Dr. Adler's office. So did Jess, and Dr. Adler himself was a little teary eyed. He said I "hopefully" have a few years left. Well, he has no idea how hard I'm about to fight...although it's taken me a full 24 hours to process the news and get to this point. The news seemed to continue to get worse. Originally treatment was going to be hormone based pills, immunotherapy stuff. But due to the fact that my liver and lungs are...