Skip to main content

Pre Op - Round 3

I was shocked today when I woke up. I was 100% sure I would NOT sleep last night. But not only did I sleep, I probably slept better than I have in weeks.

I started thinking of how I should send the "girls" off.  It would be my last 24 hours with them, after all. Flashing people in New Orleans for Mardi Gras was out, and the only other thing I could think of was to sunbathe topless. But alas, I live in San Bruno. So the only rational solution was to go shopping.... again. The girls were at school and daycare today so as not to totally disrupt their lives. And Matt worked last night so he needed to sleep. I had the morning to myself and had a surprisingly nice and very relaxing time.

At 2, I woke Matt up and we had to go down to my home away from home - the hospital. Today's appointment was in Nuclear Medicine. That just sounds daunting, doesn't it? After waiting a while, I was finally shown to a room that had a huge contraption in it. It resembled an MRI machine, but wasn't as enclosed. The Dr. finally came in and said that I had to have the injection in BOTH breasts. Come again!?! I gently advised him that he was wrong... the tumor is only in one breast, and Dr. Metkus said they were only taking the lymph nodes from that armpit. He checked his notes, and said "I'm sorry. She wants to check both sides." Grrrr.... All week I had prepared myself for one shot. One. Turns out I got FOUR. Granted, I only felt the first two since they were the numbing agent. And I'm most definitely glad they worked!! The dr. was saying that the radioactive dye they inject tends to burn.

I was laying on the bed part of this huge contraption as the shots were administered. After the dye was in, the nurse moved the bed back into the body of the machine. Then they took XRay pictures to make sure the dye was headed in the right direction, which thankfully, it was.

The rest of the day was spent with the girls and my parents. We had a really great time at dinner, followed by swim lessons and ice cream. For a few moments there, I could actually pretend my life is still normal.

But then we had to drop the girls off at Nana and Papa's. While they are beside themselves with excitement to be having several sleep overs, it made the reality really set in. I already miss my girls. I hate that I won't see them for several days, and then not be able to hold them and cuddle them for several weeks still.

I sit here with a pit in my stomach and tears that won't stop. I'm terrified. I just want this to end.

Comments

  1. We send our love and support to you and the entire family!! You are beating this, take one day at a time.
    Love, Tim and the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...you're a tough cookie and its hard for tough cookies to crumble...stay strong and focused as I know you can.....and just think while recooperating you can work on that world famous award winning Novel you promised me years ago....I know it will be on the best sellers list cuz it's written by one of the best gal's I know.....Yo momma os praying for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I promise you "someday" this will all be a memory. Everything will be back to normal and life will go on and on and on. It's just getting to that point in time. Stay strong, keep your resolve and fight the fight! Love Mama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was