Skip to main content

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence.

Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear.

After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was likewise surprised by the results but was very comforting and confident. He outlined our next steps and what the course of action will be depending on the pathology of the tumors. Next step is a CT Scan on July 25. I meet with Dr. Adler again on July 26 to discuss those results and determine where we are going to biopsy. If the pathology is the same as the initial cancer, we will do butt injections once a month followed by 21 days of taking a pill along with a new immunotherapy drug called IBrance. If the pathology has changed, which he said it sometimes does, we will do a combo of two other drugs; one of which is also a new immunotherapy drug.

The good news, if there is such a thing in this situation, is that he has a clear course of treatment. I feel safe and well taken care of. He said that he doesn't want me to stop working and would be mad if I did. Apparently women can live quite a while with mets and live a relatively normal life. I truly hope I am one of them.

I'm not ready to say goodbye to my kids and husband yet. The thought of that kills me. Absolutely slays me. This cannot be happening... I did EVERYTHING in my power to prevent it. But I trust in God's plan for me.

And now, we're off to Europe for three weeks to create the best memories ever. I want these girls to remember me and all the fun we've had. We'll deal with reality upon our return.

Comments

  1. You are a fighter. Dad and I are so proud of how you are handling this. I am heartbroken and would trade places with you if God would let me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Melissa, I am completely devastated that you have found yourself once again preparing for war. I can only try to imagine all that you are feeling right now. You are right, God is good all the time; your faith will bring you sustenance. Prayers for a successful fight, and positive thought are being lifted.

    Much Love, Cousin Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa. You were born a fighter. I am so sorry you have to endure this all over again. You have the heat and spirit of a tiger and I know you can beat this.

    If it's Dr. Adler from california cancer care, I used to call on him and you are in amazing hands.

    Thinking of you and sending nothing but positive vibes and love


    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go let Europe know the McNichol girls have been there. Then come home and together with your family and community let's fight the good fight! To Matt and Melissa's extended family - we are stronger together and we will do this together. Hugs Jo & Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words escape me Melissa.. My faith in your heart is strong and with that WE will pray that all the Angels and Saints guide you through this again!! We love you Sweet Lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are frustrated and this is so unfair. We all love you! Stay strong! Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sorry to hear this Melissa. To think I was feeling sorry for myself for some minor life hurdles. I wish I had something to offer to help. I hope the treatment plan works. Your positive spirit is amazing and contagious. -Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to hear your news Melissa. I know how how much of a fighter you are and certainly know you're not ready get back into the ring, but you MUST. You must continue to fight. You must do everything in your power to kick Cancers Butt!!! Rest assured you won't do this alone. We are all in this together. Your family, your SR family and all those that surround you. Keep your head held high and remember in life all we can really do is take this one day at a time. Enjoy today and be ready for tomorrow. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete


  9. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Robert Mary
    I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was Sicking of
    breast cancer and her name is Robert Jane, I and my family have taking
    her to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided
    to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I
    find a lady called Sarah peter she was testifies to the world about
    the goodness of a herbal man who has the root and half to cure all
    kind of disease and the herbal email was there. So I decided to
    contact the herbal man for my younger sister help to cure her breast
    cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I
    should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that
    there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it
    and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I
    receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me
    That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
    transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid
    for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the
    courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to,
    before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a
    dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very
    happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5
    million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my
    I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now
    here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any
    kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact
    Dr.ogididanspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2347067393105 for the cure, he will help you out
    with the problems.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu