Skip to main content

Telling Reagan

When I signed on for parenthood, I knew there were going to be some dicey conversations with my kids eventually. I wasn't expecting them to come so soon. Nor was I expecting to ever have to tell my 4 year old that I have cancer. Matt and I were waiting for the right time to tell Reagan, and when I was feeling strong enough to do it without crying. Reagan is the kind of kid who does well with anything if she is expecting it. She doesn't like things sprung on her - especially bad things. So we knew we had to tell her this weekend.

At Target this morning I found a book about a little girl whose Mommy has cancer. The book is fantastic actually with just the right amount of detail for a pre-school age kid. So Matt and I sat her down before lunch and told her that my boobie was sick (she was very inquisitive the day of the biopsy so this wasn't "new" news to her). We told her the doctors are going to make me all better, but that I have to go to the hospital for a few days next week. She was very excited to hear she will be having numerous sleepovers with her Nana & Papa, and her aunts and uncles. She also was ecstatic to hear that Nana will be taking her to a birthday party next weekend.

Then we read the book. Which mentions how Mommy will have to take medicine to make her better, even though the medicine will make her feel sick. The book also mentions how Mommy will lose her hair. Once I finished the book, Matt asked her if she understood. She said "Yes." Then he asked her if she has any questions. She yells out "There's a BLUEBIRD in the backyard!!" Umm... okay. I guess that's a "no?!" We all looked and said "Yes, there's a bluebird..." (I have no idea where he was). And asked her again "do you have any questions about mommy being sick?" She says "umm.. my belly just grumbled. Is it time for lunch?"

I think it went better than anticipated....

Comments

  1. Now you know, always plan these discussion shortly before lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reagan is such a cutie. I hope it gives you consolation to know that I had no memory of my mom being sick when I was very young (not even with a cold!). I was 15 when I first understood everything that had happened, well after my mom was in remission and I have to say it had to be because of all the love and support from family and friends. Since you are such a strong person... and You, Matt and the girls have so much support around you, I am sure that Reagan and Charlotte will also remember the best moments about these days... and can look forward to all the days where they can run and play with Mommy when she gets all better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was