Skip to main content

Halle Berry

So many people have been advising me lately that I should cut my hair really short to prepare for when it falls out. Which, by the way, should be next Tuesday or Wednesday per my oncologist and nurse. Finally I caved yesterday and made an appointment for my last hair cut for a long while.

I asked Reagan if she wanted to come along, and of course she did! We met Jess there and I let her have free reign along with the stylist. They decided on cutting it like Halle Berry.

I'm not sure what's more funny..the fact that I clearly don't look like Halle Berry so I can't pull off her hairdo, or that the hairstylist was absolutely not even pretending that it looked good. In his defense, when I told him we had to cut it super short he immediately balked...like every single hairdresser I have ever been to does. We told him why I needed it short and so of course he complied. I even told him that I didn't expect it to look good and I didn't expect any sort of miracle from him. That definitely seemed to give him some comfort.. (I'm not sure why I felt I had to reassure him so much - it's my hair after all!) I literally laughed out loud when he patted my arm as I was leaving and said "Don't worry...it'll grow back eventually!"

If I cut my hair like this a year ago, I'd be sobbing now and freaking out about it. But today, I don't care. I could not care less that every time I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror it reminds me of "St. Elmo's Fire." If nothing else, I'll be happy to see it fall out next week! That and the fact that Reagan absolutely loves it are fine with me.

All kidding aside, it's not that bad. It's actually very liberating, and I think that maybe I can have fun experimenting with different short hairstyles when it does eventually grow back.

On a side note, yesterday and today have been such wonderfully good days. No pain, no nausea, and lots of one on one time with each of my girls. (Sadly that's because both have been battling a stomach virus this week and quarantined from me during their fever stages).

And since it's St. Patrick's Day, and I couldn't make it without the support of my "Irish" side, I thought it appropriate to add our favorite Irish Blessing


Comments

  1. Beautiful, the Irish Blessing and the girl (woman) I know. Bald, short hair, long hair, whatever color, you are beautiful to me and all around you. They've always said "it's what is inside that counts", and you've got it girl. Hair comes and goes, but leopards don't change their spots. Having short hair doesn't change the person you are and yes it is liberating. Love Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want a picture of your adorable new haircut!!! love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa! Maggie was telling me about your blog and here I am reading about what an amazing(!) woman you are! Sending you lots of thumbs up, hi-5's, pats on the back, hugs and smiles. Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was