Skip to main content

Why Me: Part 2

After my last post, I talked to a few people and got some emails from loved ones which detailed their beliefs on the "why me" theory. A lot of what's been said has really made an impact on me. I spent last week thinking this happened to me for some mysterious reason. Maybe I did something bad and needed a wake up call. Maybe I could use this time to change who or how I am to become better. But to be honest... I wasn't a bad person before. I was perfectly fine- nothing spectacular, but not too shabby either. Maybe, as the saying goes: shit happens. Maybe, just maybe, sometimes bad things happen to good people for no reason other than the fact that this is life. The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe this is truly the case. Why did my Mom and my two aunts suffer from this same disease? They are and were all such wonderful women..they didn't do anything "bad" to deserve this. They didn't need to learn a lesson about life and love. So, I have moved on...it is what it is and no matter how much time and energy I put into thinking about it, it won't change anything. And with this being my "good" week, I don't have time and energy to waste on anything I can't change.

But this week has brought another "why me" question to light. We took the girls out for ice cream on Sunday night after dinner. I was so excited for a scoop of my favorite ice cream - chocolate chip cookie dough. As I dug in, something tasted off. Reagan was quick to offer to taste mine as well. She promptly declared it was good, followed by a thumbs up from Charlie. I made Matt taste it too, and while it's definitely not his favorite flavor, he declared it perfectly fine as well. I'd been warned that this might happen... the Cytoxin apparently can alter tastes and/or leave a metallic taste in your mouth. My favorite ice cream now tasted like a cardboard box. Then today I had a craving for Oreos. (Seriously..what's with these cravings?! I didn't have this many cravings either time I was pregnant!) I stopped for a bag on my way home and grabbed a few as soon as I got home. I must have inhaled the first one, because it wasn't until my second one that I realized it tasted HORRIBLE. It tasted again like I was eating soggy cardboard.  So I ask "Why me?" WHY does the damn chemo have to ruin one of the few little treats I have these days?! Damn you chemo... I can't wait until June.

I did get a tiny bit of good news today though. I had my third "how did chemo go" appointment today with my nurse Suzanne. We started talking about the Taxol, which means we really are close to being half way there!!!!! The Taxol will supposedly be much easier on me with fewer side effects. To that, I say Wooo Hoooo! But I will have to go back three days in a row after infusion for shots. Right now I go back the following day only for my Neulasta shot. The Taxol doesn't require me to take Neulasta, but another shot called Neupogen. Suzanne explained that one shot of Neulasta is equal to ten shots of Neupogen. So even though I'll be getting 3 shots, it's roughly only 1/3 of the dosage. (But 3X the co pay...which will be another blog entry someday). While I'm not looking forward to Round 4 AT ALL, it seems that after next week the worst just may be over. Just maybe...

Comments

  1. You are one of the nicest people I know so start being good to yourself! Shit does happen, especially to good people, that's when it really shits. That metalic taste can be awful. I tasted mustard in everything I ate, so lost my taste for mustard for a while. Finally got it back and now love it again. As long as you don't lose your taste for Pastina! Need some? Love Mama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was