Skip to main content

Time Flies

I'm now 5 weeks post op. I can't believe it. It feels like just yesterday that I was gearing up for this huge surgery. Now, I'm pretty much back to "normal" with just some minor restrictions. I am feeling really good both physically and emotionally lately too!

This past week we were so busy with several appointments each day. Tuesday started off with my follow up visit with Dr. Metkus. She confirmed that everything is healing perfectly, and said I won't have to see her again for another year! And from then on I will see her yearly for a skin check - since there is no breast tissue left I will never need another mammogram/ultrasound/MRI, etc. There is something to be said for that. But then again, it's the exact reason why I opted for the "doublay." Dr. Metkus also stressed the importance of my being uber careful with my right arm and the need to be vigilant about lymphedema. To be honest, at this point I'm almost more scared of developing lymphedema than of the cancer!!! We left with an RX for a compression sleeve for my right arm. I'm supposed to wear this anytime I'm on an airplane or somewhere with high elevation (like our annual trip to Tahoe!). FOREVER. She stressed that this can develop at any time for the rest of my life. Of course my first thought was how ridiculous I'm going to look laying by the pool with my compression sleeve on. Yet just another reminder of how lucky I will be to be able to enjoy Tahoe though!!

I also had my chest XRay done on Tuesday. I wasn't sure why Dr. Adler was making me get a chest XRay before I start chemo. All weekend my mind was churning and of course I ended up assuming he thought the cancer spread to my lungs. Yes, I tend to become a bit paranoid sometimes ..usually late at night. But my old pal Google helped me out once again. Apparently pulmonary embolisms, which tend to go unnoticed, usually develop in the heart and lungs. Chemo can trigger one of these to "go." Well, at least that's one reason I found online..I'm sure there are probably a few others as well as to why he requires this. But I like that one the best, so it's the reason I've decided to go with in my little head. That said, I'm not going to deny that I stood on my tip toes in the XRay room trying to get a peek at the pictures the tech took. I'm happy to report that it looked totally clear to me and my completely untrained XRay examining eye.

The rest of the week was consumed with blood draws, physical therapy, and another follow up with Dr. Griffin - who really does get more awesome each time. We went over some options for my follow up surgery (or surgeries) down the road. I won't do anything else until about 6 months after radiation. We're going to have to watch the flap on my right side and see what the radiation does to it. The great thing is that we have options if the radiation shrinks it at all. So it's nice to know that I not only have choices, but that I'm in the best hands with my reconstruction. In fact, at only 5 weeks out, I can already tell how much I'm going to love the "new" me. And I don't have to see him again until August now as well.

So I really feel that Phase 1 is almost over. Bring it on, Phase 2. We have an appointment on Monday with my chemo nurse to finalize details and figure out my start date. I am expecting it will be any time later next week or the following week. I'm hoping for sooner rather than later. The sooner we start, the sooner it's over!

Comments

  1. You looked great when we saw you! You seem to be back to your normal self. As far as the lymphedema goes, hopefully it will never happen and if it does, it's managable. Your medical team is great and they are taking great care of you. As you say, phase 1 is over, now phase 2. It will soon be over and you will be totally back to normal with a wonderful life ahead of you. Love Mama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was