Skip to main content

Catch Up

It doesn't seem like I do much these days, yet I have been too busy to blog in a while.

Last week my hair started falling out. I was told it "probably" wouldn't happen. It did. Big time. I was combing my hair in the shower and chunks just came out. I cried, I was mad, then I remembered how much I like being bald and it got better. It's just hard this time since I have no end date for chemo...at least last time I knew it was 8 rounds. Now...it's a forever thing. Sucks.

Bone infusion was last Thursday. I had an appointment with Dr. Adler first, which went well. He told me he's not a fan of scans... I told him I AM, at this point, a big fan of scans. So my next scan is tentatively set for the first week of November. Once I have an actual date, I can call UCSF and make an appointment there for the following week. I'm excited to go there and hear what they have to say. I'm excited (and nervous) for the scans because I want proof that the chemo is working. I need to know these nasty tumors are shrinking in my lungs and liver.

The bone infusion itself is easy peasy. They took my blood first to check my hemoglobin. It has been low and if it fell "dramatically" I would need a blood transfusion. UGH. I can't think of anything creepier than random people's blood in my body. Thankfully the hemoglobin is hanging steady at an 8. Apparently it should be a 12, and 7.5 is transfusion time - so I'm really toe'ing the line.

The weekend off of chemo was decent. I was able to enjoy soccer on Saturday and mass and painting with some friends yesterday. Unfortunately, it all caught up to me today. The infusion causes bone pain as we know, but it all hit me today and I was an emotional wreck. I felt nauseous, cold and clammy, was totally in pain, and just tired of being this sick person. I went in to work late, and actually being out in the sun made me feel a little better. Work always cheers me up. It's hard to be in a bad place surrounded by hilarious 11-14 year olds... not to mention I get to talk about reading and writing all day. So work is definitely one of my happy places these days.

This week I'm gearing up for chemo on Friday. I've promised Matt that after chemo on Friday I will REST until Monday morning. I can't push it and try and be a superhero....it hasn't been working out for me.  I need to give it up to chemo and rest while it works it's magic on these tumors.

Comments

  1. You are such a beautiful person in every way. Sending lots of love to my precious niece. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration to all who read this blog. I am so proud of you. You will never know how much you mean to us and how we love you. Keep up the fighting spirit. You go girl. Kill those cancer cells.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was