Skip to main content

Rack Stars and Tits for Tat...and Phase 3

This weekend was the 2011 Avon Walk to end breast cancer in San Francisco. A while ago I wrote about how my dad, Colleen, Jess, and Matt's cousins and aunt were all walking. I was looking forward to the walk because it would mean my chemo was over. I know my dad, Colleen and Nell (and probably all the ladies) were looking forward to it so that IT would be over! Well, we spent the past two days out there cheering them on and they all did AMAZING. My dad finished the first day in 7 hours...that's craziness! But they all were so inspiring and just phenomenal.

The magnitude of the whole event really took an emotional toll on me. There were thousands of people out there walking, volunteering, and spectating. They ALL either know someone who was diagnosed with breast cancer, or WILL know someone. Maggie and Amy have done this walk 4 times now. When they started walking, they didn't personally know anyone who had breast cancer. Now they do (and not just me). It was another realization of just how prevalent this disease is in our community, our world actually. I'm grateful for all of the walkers and fundraisers. Without them, the medical community wouldn't be able to make such amazing strides each year with treatment. My aggressive treatment has left me able to sleep at night now, knowing we've done everything we can to beat this. Continuous fundraising efforts will mean that more advancements will keep being made so that my girls ... Maggie's and Megan's daughters, and everyone elses daughters, will hopefully not have to go through what I did this year.
 

Team Rack Stars and Tits for Tat inspired me so much that I signed up to walk in the 2012 Avon walk!!! I'm excited to be be a part of such a great event.

And in other news... Radiation started today. 1 day down, 27 to go. And if it continues to be as easy as today was, this will be a piece of cake. I've already decided that organizing my day around my 1:30 radiation appointment will be the hardest part. The whole process took about 10 minutes. All I have to do is lie there. There's no needles poking me, no after effects, no foggy brain. The weirdest part of radiation is the machine - which looks like a paddle sort of- that rotates around my body into the precise position it needs to be to hit where the doctors determined it needs to hit. There are 3 men in white coats that call out numbers and then leave the room while the machine is on. Each position gets 2 zaps of radiation - about 15 seconds long each. I'm told that radiation is a cumulative effect, so in about 4 weeks I may be singing a different tune about it. But for now, phase 3 is BY FAR the easiest phase yet.

Comments

  1. You are over the worst of it. The minor skin irritation and fatigue you might feel towards the end of radiation is nothing compared to the hell on earth of chemo. Medical technology is making strides every day to end this awful disease. Hopefully someday in the not too distant future no one will have to go through these harsh treatments to survive. Never give in to cancer and never give up hope. Love Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, you are one of the most courageous women I know. When I crossed that finish line and saw Reagan with her sign saying "Thanks for walking so I won't have to" it made me want to walk 40 more miles. Of course that was my emotion speaking not my feet!! You are a strong beautiful person and I can't wait to walk next year WITH you not for you.
    Prayers and only good thoughts for you,
    Pat Bowling AKA Mrs. Bowling, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an amazing post! Seriously, tears!! I'm so happy for you and you are so amazing to be able to continue to smile and be upbeat during this entire ordeal. Best of luck to you with the radiation, I'm sure you will knock this out of the park as well!!

    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was