Skip to main content

UCSF

It's taken me a full 24 hours to process our meeting at UCSF yesterday. Matt and I left and were both completely blown away and in awe of Dr. Rugo.   I have no idea really what she said. She was hands down the smartest person both Matt and I have ever met. I wish my brother Chris was with us at the meeting... he would have known exactly what to ask, what she was saying, and been able to translate for us. We spent almost two hours with her. We have a plan, and I have a LOT more information than I had before.

We first started going over my history.  Essentially she said that it's crazy (although she used a way more scientific word than "crazy") that my cancer came back. She acknowledged that I did EVERYTHING I could to beat it, and followed a very strict and harsh protocol. So she said our first step is to find out why. That's the million dollar question. I have been asking God why...but Dr. Rugo is the one who may actually be able to answer it. (Although I think God sent her to me so technically then he's still answering it, right?) They are going to do a blood test that has primarily been used for lung cancer patients. It's just now starting to be used for other cancers, specifically breast cancer. The test will hopefully give more info about my cancer and show how it changed and became resistant to the treatment. This information will help us moving forward by letting the doctors know which drugs may work and which ones absolutely won't.

She was very pleased with the progress made since my last scan in September. She said I was "very sick" over the summer which actually scared me a lot. But she was saying that my latest CBC shows all liver function back in the normal range. That's amazing to me! My poor little body has been through so much!

She agrees with continuing the Abraxane for three more cycles until the blood tests come back. If the next scan after these next three cycles shows continued success, I will be put on a hormone inhibitor based on the results of the blood test. The hope is that whatever drug I am put on will keep the tumors at bay. Once (if) they start growing again, I will go back to chemo again. I don't know what the protocol is if the next scan does not show positive results..but I don't even want to think about that.

She commented on my weight and my nutrition. I've lost 17 lbs since September. When you have stage 4 cancer, you take any bit of good news you can get. So I've been super stoked about the weight loss. She looked at me and said "Oh, so you were a little overweight when you were diagnosed?" Umm... yeah... "I used to be fat, but now I'm all that" is what I wanted to say to her, but I didn't think she'd find me funny. She was also very unimpressed when I told her I skip dinner a lot. I'm just not hungry and nothing tastes good these days. I was informed that if I want to live as long as I possibly can, I need to have good nutrition, "even if it means having ice cream for dinner." SAY WHAT?! I have the world's most intelligent woman telling me it's OK to have ice cream for dinner?! Incredible. She said it has protein and calcium and I need both. Sounds perfect...I'll stock up on mint chip and cookie dough STAT.

Where she lost Matt and I totally though was when she started rattling off clinical trials. They are made up of letters and numbers and made no sense. She said there are two drugs that have had great success with ovarian cancer that are now being rolled out to breast cancer patients within the next month. She was saying how I can't do "too much" chemo because it will eliminate me from eligibility for some trials and we want to leave me eligible for as many as possible.

Bottom line.... we have a LOT of options treatment wise. She is going to work with Dr. Adler and I will still be treated down in his office, but with her recommendations. Her recs so far follow his protocol, but with the change coming sooner if things bode well at the next scan.  She already emailed him, and I am to follow up next week to get the ball rolling on the blood test.

Last night when we left I felt like my head was going to explode with all of the information. Today, I feel like my heart is going to explode with all of the hope I have.



Comments

  1. Keep on fighting and NEVER give up hope, eat all the ice cream you want, sounds so positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the BEST Thanksgiving news ever!!! You've been at the top of my prayers, and I am soooo glad and relieved that you have some positive answers! Prayers still coming strong!! Love to you, Matt and the girls!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great plan, so promising and encouraging! Happy Thanksgiving! xoxo

    ReplyDelete


  4. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Robert Mary
    I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was Sicking of
    breast cancer and her name is Robert Jane, I and my family have taking
    her to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided
    to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I
    find a lady called Sarah peter she was testifies to the world about
    the goodness of a herbal man who has the root and half to cure all
    kind of disease and the herbal email was there. So I decided to
    contact the herbal man for my younger sister help to cure her breast
    cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I
    should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that
    there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it
    and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I
    receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me
    That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
    transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid
    for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the
    courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to,
    before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a
    dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very
    happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5
    million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my
    I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now
    here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any
    kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact
    Dr.ogididanspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2347067393105 for the cure, he will help you out
    with the problems.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was