Skip to main content

Breaking Hearts

Today was one of those days that no parent ever wants to have. The day you actually break your children's hearts.

Matt came home today after work and before he went to school. We had lunch together, and then gathered the girls in the living room. I don't even know how I mustered the strength to do it, but I managed to tell the girls that the leg pains I've been having are because my cancer has come back. They immediately started bawling... as did Matt and I. I told them it was okay to cry and be scared and that Daddy and I are also sad and scared, but that I wanted them to listen to all of the information also. Over the next half hour or so, we went over everything that we know, what tests are coming up, and stressed that we need to really stick together as a family and trust that we will get through this. We talked about God's plan for us, and that we need to have faith. Matt and I reassured them that their lives won't change that much. They will still play sports and dance, go on playdates, we will still yell at them for fighting and not doing what they are told, but that Mommy will have a lot of appointments and not a lot of energy for a while. They both liked that they will be spending more time with Nana and Papa.

I made sure they know that I adore them and would never give up without a fight. Charlie kept crying and saying how scared she is. All I could do was hold her and cry as well.

Matt, the therapist that he is, thought ahead and gave us all pink worry stones to keep with us always. He also bought a few books for the girls to read, and gave them journals that they can write or draw in. Reagan commented that she liked "getting stuff" which made us laugh.

I know being mad does no good, but it makes me mad that I had to tell my little girls this news today. It makes me mad that they can never again be carefree kids. The reality of life has bitch slapped us all and robbed them of their childhood. Cancer can mess with me and I will go head to head with it, but the fact that my children are now devastated enrages me.

It also enrages me that I got a call from my health insurance today for the cost of the CT Scan on Tuesday. $650. On top of the $650 for the bone scan. Talk about kicking someone when they are down.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, your strength and courage is amazing! I can't even begin to imagine how hard this day must have been for you. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I look forward to reading how you bitch slap Cancer right back in the face!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was