Skip to main content

231

231. That's the number of days that have passed since the fateful day I learned I had breast cancer.

It seems like an eternity, and yet it seems like just yesterday. The events of that day are still so vivid. I remember answering my phone as Matt and I drove home from lunch with our friends. Even more so, I remember waltzing into my second mammogram just two days prior without a care in the world. And I remember calling Matt sobbing an hour later, incoherently telling him the doctor thinks I have cancer and that I was having an immediate biopsy.

From the moment we found out, we put our nose to the grindstone and pounded this out. We met with doctors, followed the proposed protocol to a "T", suffered intense pain and sadness, and persevered. And here we are. Done. We were completely blindsided by this, and here we are- 231 days later, victorious! I keep saying "we," because even though the cancer was in my body, my entire family was affected. Without my family, I wouldn't have been able to maintain the strength and determination to fight.

In the beginning, it seemed so tragic that a 36 year old mom of two small kids would get cancer. Yet today, it seems like having little kids is what kept my head on straight and made me remain optimistic this whole time. I couldn't let them see me sad and crying. I couldn't be a hypocrite and teach them to never give up, yet give up myself. So even when I was miserable and at my lowest of lows, my family - my girls - kept me going.

Today I was on such a high at radiation. My radiation dudes told me how proud of me they were, and how well I handled the radiation. They even gave me hugs as I left. While they are so nice, I pray I never have to see them again!!

On my way out I made an appointment to see Dr. Weller again in September. It seems sort of anti climatic, yet the truth is that I guess it's never really over. I'll have follow ups for the rest of my life. But for me, it's over. I have all the faith in the world that we did everything we could. I know I gave everything in me the past 8 months to beat this - literally and figuratively! I know that I *could* do it again if I had too...but I also know that I never *want* to have to do it again!

What I am going to do now is enjoy my little girls, my husband, and my LIFE.

Comments

  1. As always so very, very proud of you. Never give in to cancer and never, never, never, ever give up. Keep up the fight which now means keep up with your regular checkups, getting fit and eating healthy, etc. but enjoy life and don't think about the checkups until you have to. Love Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You did it!! I'm so excited for you to have moved to the "other side" and are now the SURVIVOR!!!

    Your strength through this whole thing has been inspirational. This last year has been a tough one for our family as well, no real medical problems just tough and you have been my inspiration. I kept thinking to myself, "if Melissa can kick breast cancer, I too can do this!!" So thank you for your blog and your strength!!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, beacon of strength, purveyor of joy: YOU DID IT! I am so thankful--to God, to your family--that you have overcome! YOU HAVE OVERCOME!

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was