Skip to main content

Manic Monday

This week started off both good and bad. After a rough weekend with some majorly sore knees and a funk of a mood that I couldn't shake, today started off great. My knees are almost back to normal, and I started the day off with a massage (Thanks, Chris & Hannah!!). Since I wasn't much of a fun mom this weekend, I let Reagan stay home from school today and we had an awesome "Mommy/Reagy day." That girl could lift anyones spirits with her random statements and the way she breaks into dance at any given time.

Dr. Metkus' office called to re schedule my Weds appointment for today. Which was great news because my "little" lump has been burning and hurting a lot more lately. Turns out, I am the Queen of Hernias...and unlike the last one that was randomly discovered, there's no denying this one. They aren't sure if it was there all along, or if it is a product of the DIEP surgery. I guess it doesn't really matter the "hows" or "whys" of it though. (Except considering this is my second hernia this year, I'm thinking I should probably start doing some crunches as soon as I'm back on my feet...) I'm happy that it's been diagnosed and now we can fix it. Surgery is scheduled for July 15th. I can't believe it'll be my second surgery in less than 6 months. Thankfully though this surgery is outpatient, should only take 1 hour, and the recovery is NOTHING like the DIEP was (although really... WHAT could be that bad?) Dr. Metkus said I'll be laid up for about a week and unable to lift Charlie. But that I should still be able to do radiation...so that will be a conversation for Dr. Weller when I see him again later this month.

I'm not sure why, but the idea of a hernia really grosses me out. Especially when Dr. Metkus kept saying how they will go through the c section scar and push my "guts" back in, put mesh over it, and sew me back up. Seriously?! My guts are bulging out?! I mean, of course they are..I know what a hernia is..but sometimes there's a difference between knowing something, and having someone verbalize it over and over. And why is it that I'm fine with the fact that my boobs are actually my muffin top, but a small square of mesh in my abdomen makes me nauseous?

Oh, and one week from now I'll be relaxing at home after my LAST chemo. So overall, today was a very good day.

Comments

  1. What can I say. It hasn't been easy for you but it could be worse. The chemo is just about over and the next step is to begin. A year from now this will all be a memory. Keep up the fighting spirit. Love Mama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was