Skip to main content

Arizona Part 1

Wow... I have been meaning to write so many times over the past month, but life keeps getting in the way. Or being too tired. I finally recovered from the flu, and life went back to normal...somewhat. But all the stuff I had meant to write about doesn't seem important now. All that is important now is this week. This time with the family. This trip.

With so much excitement, we spent last week packing and preparing for our Grand Canyon experience that the Fairy Foundation was beyond generous to gift us with. Then Easter came, and the emotions hit me like a train. Every holiday is difficult these days as I always think "is this the last XXX day I will have." So those normal emotions hit on Easter along with "Wow..we're going on a great vacation because I am dying." Thinking about it that way kind of sucks and takes the fun out of it. But then 4 am Monday came, and as we piled into our Uber to the airport I began to get excited again.

Monday was tough physically as well. We flew into Phoenix and then on to Flagstaff. I had a wheelchair at each airport and we breezed through security and from one gate to the next. Once we arrived in Flagstaff we got our rental car and drove on to Sedona. My bones were screaming by the time we checked into the luxurious Enchantment Resort in Sedona. Not to mention, I had been up since 3 am. So I was down for the count after we got checked into our room on Monday. However, while we were waiting for our room the girls enjoyed the petting zoo and had balloon animals made for them. Sedona is so exquisite. The scenery is breathtaking, the weather (in April) is perfect, and the people are so friendly. The hotel staff was literally at our beck and call. We would call for a golf cart to take us anywhere on the property we wanted to go.

Tuesday we went to the one place I had to check out; the Church of the Holy Cross. It is a chapel built into the rocky hills and is a "vortex." Matt wheeled me up the steep hill from the parking lot and the poor guy was hurting when we got to the top. We lit candles and prayed. I cried. Matt cried. We spent a ton of money at the gift shop, and I left with NO PAIN in my shoulder. The shoulder that has been hurting for about two weeks now. As this is my blog and my personal journey, I only speak my truth here... and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything...but it is pretty abundantly clear to me that my truth is really powerful.

Speaking of truth, the truth is that this trip is for Matt and the girls as much as it is for me. Matt keeps saying this is my trip. It's not. It's for all of us to make memories as a family. So many things have happened on this trip, in just the first three days, that have brought me so much peace.  I realize that we all needed this. We will all cherish these days forever... (even with all the girls' fighting!). My road is far from over, and there are definitely days I am more confident than others, but they walk this road with me. I love these people. I fear leaving them behind. I fear they will forget me, but I realize that is not possible. I definitely fear the future, but my present is so amazing that I would rather have this present than a thousand tomorrows without them.

Comments

  1. They will never forget you. Everyone that knows you will never forget you. You are one of a kind, sweet, generous, loving, caring and compassionate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting.  She packed more into a year with

Sigourney Weaver

Years ago (okay, fine...decades ago) in high school some boy jokingly called me Sigourney Weaver. I don't remember all of the details of how or why that nickname came about, but it's sort of funny that she and I do have a lot in common now. Well, the Sigourney Weaver of 1997 or whenever "Aliens" came out. Bald, badass, and with an alien growing inside of us!! My alien will be removed tomorrow morning though, Thank GOD! I'm SO over having this gross bump that hurts more and more every day. The other day I couldn't even put my jeans on without it pinching my little alien baby. It turns out I'm developing a "day before surgery" routine. I go shopping. Today it was the first ever "Back to School" shopping for Reagan! She starts Kindergarten next month, so I figured we should get her some new clothes before the full effects of radiation kick in and I'm too tired. (Wait.... I don't think anything will ever make me "too tired&qu

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was