Skip to main content

Old Friends and New Ones

During the past 3 months I've learned just how special my girlfriends are. I mean, I've always known that I've got some of the best friends around, but so many of them have really made an effort to cheer me up, help us out, or offer support in any way they can. Our mailbox is often full with wonderful cards from family, friends, coworkers, and people that only know of me through others. Words will never be able to express how much this means to me, and how much this truly lifts my spirits.

Between our amazing families and friends, I really feel like I've got a whole team supporting me through this. It helps my morale, but it also makes me want to fight harder - I can't let my team down now can I?!

But over these past 3 months, I've also met a whole new clan of friends too. My "cancer friends" as I usually label them when I talk to anyone about them. These are other breast cancer survivors about my age that I've met through family and friends, and people I've met in treatment or at yoga. These friends have provided me with so much hope and inspiration. Some are women my age with young kids who are already out of treatment and now living their lives fully. They are great resources to talk to about treatment side effects, effects on the kids, how to get back to normal, etc. One is a woman my age currently going through my same treatment protocol a month ahead of me. And one is this amazing man who was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer that only 10,000 people have. It attacks his liver and lungs and there is not much known about its origin or how to treat it. His treatment is going on indefinitely. Indefinitely. I have an end date (June 13 hopefully!).. he doesn't. I can't even imagine what that must be like.  I feel like I've met each of these people for a very important reason. They have all already enhanced my life in many ways, and I know they will continue to do so going forward.

And I hope that I can give all of my friends, old and new,something that they have given me - hope, happiness, faith and love.

Comments

  1. You are such a beautiful person and your comments prove just that. You appreciate all the people around you who love and support you. You do have a large circle of support, which helps a lot. I will be praying for your friend with no end. Love Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hells yes. Good friends flock to good. Loves you. Scrabble is on tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk.......

6 years.... that's how long it's been since I finished with active treatment. However, I took Tamoxifen for 5 years to squash any estrogen left in my body. I recently switched over to a "tougher" aromatase inhibitor call arimidex. These drugs provided comfort and faith that I was doing everything in my power to prevent a recurrence. Guess what?! They failed me. Big time. It's back, and it's back all over. After months of hip pain that my NP chalked up repeatedly to muscle pain, she finally sent me to an orthopedist. He took X-rays and did NOT like what he saw. Additional blood work and bone scans have led to the diagnosis of cancer pretty much throughout my skeletal system. Metastases were found in the skull, scapula, multiple ribs, pelvis, both hips, and spine. Definitely NOT the news I was expecting nor wanting to hear. After an afternoon of crying and occasionally feeling like I was going to throw up, Matt and I met with Dr. Adler, my oncologist. He was...

Beauty in Life and Death

This is Matt unfortunately Melissa did not get finish her last entry so I will take it from here.  I will try not to have any typos or grammatical errors.  Melissa would really not like that, but she was my official proof reader for all important documents. Melissa and I always strived to look for beauty even in the darkest of times.  It is not always easy but it is always there when you look hard enough.  Our situation the last year and half have not been ideal there were lots of tears and dark times, but the beauty was overwhelming. Whether it was a note, meal, flowers, or text a a low point or just the love we felt from family or friends.  The beauty was there.  We had so many people praying for us and for Melissa to beat cancer once and for all, but I also prayed that Melissa would be pain free and if it was God's will that she passed peacefully.  Melissa was in so much pain last year.  She did not let her slow her down but she was hurting...

Devastation

The results are in and they are absolutely not what we were hoping for or expecting. I officially suck at reading CT Scan results. My sister in law, Jess, came with me to the appointment yesterday since Matt had to work. I wasn't expecting bad news as I figured it was time we heard something GOOD, so I told him to save his time off for when I really need him. Well, turns out I really needed him yesterday. The cancer is active in my lungs and liver as well as my bones. F*$%!!!! As hard as I tried to remain strong, I broke down crying in Dr. Adler's office. So did Jess, and Dr. Adler himself was a little teary eyed. He said I "hopefully" have a few years left. Well, he has no idea how hard I'm about to fight...although it's taken me a full 24 hours to process the news and get to this point. The news seemed to continue to get worse. Originally treatment was going to be hormone based pills, immunotherapy stuff. But due to the fact that my liver and lungs are...